aerin

Aerin

"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen

Reading progress update: I've read 5%.

Caffeinated: How Our Daily Habit Helps, Hurts, and Hooks Us - Murray Carpenter

I am extremely sensitive to caffeine - for my health and sanity I really should avoid it, but I get repeatedly sucked in by its sweet siren song, and end up on weeks-long benders that leave me crazed, sleepless, paranoid and twitchy.  Detoxing requires two full days of nearly uninterrupted sleep and a week of searing headaches.  I joke that I react to caffeine the way many people react to crack cocaine, but it's only partially a joke.

For me, "a dangerously high amount of caffeine" is two Dr Peppers in a row (about the same dose as in one cup of coffee -- I have never had coffee, thankfully).  I once drank a glass of a Pepsi energy drink and was awake, heart racing, for three days straight.

I'm sensitive to a lot of drugs, but I've never had this kind of trouble with, for instance, alcohol (which I can take or leave).  Caffeine is TERRIBLE, though.  It's in practically everything, and for the first day or two on it I am bright and alert and creative and feel AMAZING.  But then I can't stop.

It always blows my mind that our culture treats caffeine as no big deal, nothing to be concerned about, nothing that requires labeling or much regulation.  I know I'm in the minority in reacting SO strongly to it, but it IS a highly addictive drug that's lethal in high doses.  I wish we respected it as such.

In any case, I can already tell that I'm going to be fascinated by this book.